Banyan is clearly an old soul, sent to earth to teach and bring joy to all who know him. Since a very young age he has traveled East and West, studied, and taught.
Apr 25 – May 16
Sept 5 – Sept 26
Nov 7 – Nov 28
PROGRAM DIRECTOR BANYAN GALLAGHER
Banyan Gallagher is a teacher’s teacher. With over twenty years experience as an international athlete, circus performer, and yoga teacher, he is an expert at unraveling the beauty—and barriers—hidden within the body.
A passionate teacher and dedicated student, Banyan is the Founder and Director of Warrior 1 Yoga and leads retreats, workshops, and teacher trainings worldwide. With integrity and trust, he challenges his students on levels physical, mental, and energetic. This rigorous approach is well balanced by a caring and jovial attitude that demonstrates his love of life and commitment to his students. Never afraid to have a laugh, Banyan is a warm, playful soul whose presence offers genuine calm to all those around him.
From the very start, Banyan has had the pleasure of working with some of the world’s most renowned teachers, from Tias Little to Andrey Lappa, Shiva Rea to Ana Forrest, Eddie Modestini to Nicki Doane, Jim Bennitt to Rod Stryker and T.K.V. Desikachar. To continually deepen his practice and breadth of knowledge, Banyan intensely studies everything from Sufi mystical poetry to human dissection and anatomy. He has spent the bulk of the last ten years traveling the world and learning from a variety of masters both East and West.
Banyan passes the tradition of T. Krishnamacharya forward, prescribing different yogas for different individuals. His multidisciplinary and global studies have facilitated this process well. In his classes, he blends traditional teachings with modern analogies in the interest of giving the Western practitioner direction, stillness, and balance—and maybe a laugh here and there!
This training will prepare and certify students to:
- Teach an inspiring group vinyasa (breath-connected) yoga class in the yoga studio, gym, or corporate environment, with intelligent sequencing, precise adjustments, and clear focus.
- Teach yoga privately and professionally, prescribing appropriate exercises to each individual.
- Field the most common questions and issues from beginner students, including (but not limited to) back or knee injuries, blood pressure, pregnancy, and stress. Understand how to safely work with these conditions in a nurturing, therapeutic manner.
- Have a firm grasp of, and an excitement to go deeper into, the use of anatomy and physiology in yoga.
- Study the breath in all its beauty, fluctuations, and variations and prescribe different breathing techniques for different effects.
- Understand the art and value of contemplation (meditation) and be able to lead others in the same from direct experience.
- Grasp the foundations and supporting energies of yoga, with emphasis on Tantra, the Yoga Sutras, Ayurveda, ethics, and the business of yoga.
YOGA TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAM CURRICULUM
The process of learning to teach also encompasses diving deep into your own practice and your own hopes and fears, perhaps deeper than you’ve ever gone before. For this ritual to work, it is important that you use your time and energy wisely. During the breaks and days off, you will be encouraged to study, practice teach, and spend time in silence to help you digest the work we do as a group. We have a lot of material to cover in just 21 days, so coming rested, prepared, and committed will be essential to completing the course. You’ll be asked to keep a journal privately during the course and will need to complete assignments and miss no more than one day of the whole training. Get started on your reading and journal today in preparation! Reading and practice assignments, as well as a teaching demo (reviewed) and final evaluation will round out the program. In addition, karma (service) hours will be required for completion during or after the training.
Remember, yoga is a journey of self-discovery and building our sensitivity to the world around us. We will be discovering and releasing attachments to that which is familiar and constricting in order to build our light to shine brighter than ever. In order not to disrupt each other’s process, we will, as a group, abstain from drinking alcohol, smoking, or using drugs for the duration of the course. This training is not a time to vacation and party; think of it more as an intensive or cleanse dedicated to honest self-reflection, purification, and clarity. On the evenings and days off, you are welcome to do what you wish as long as it does not disrupt the group’s energy. After the last day of class, we will have a celebration party (with maybe a special performance!) and prepare for reintegration into the “real” world.
By the end of this training, you will probably be in the best shape of your life. Expect to leave more relaxed, physically stronger, invigorated, and with more mental clarity on how to live life to the fullest.
Prepare for the course now by reading the following books. Please bring Ray Long’s anatomy book to the training and an empty journal or notebook to use throughout the training for notes, assignments and journaling.
- Scientific Keys Volume Two: Key Poses of Yoga, Ray Long, MD (bring to training)
- The Heart of Yoga by T. K. V. Desikachar
- Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra
- The Art of Skillful Teaching Manual: by Banyan Gallagher and Friends (actual cost will vary depending on local printing cost, bring $50)