Colynn Vosburgh YTT
Colynn Vosburgh, a Canadian Registered Nurse/Medical Student turned Yoga Instructor, brings her own unique flare of west meets east to the subject of anatomy.
April 24 – May 15
Colynn Vosburgh, a Canadian Registered Nurse/Medical Student turned Yoga Instructor, brings her own unique flare of west meets east to the subject of anatomy. After specializing for over 17 years in the Emergency Room, the current state of the medical system encouraged Colynn to leave her medical career and pursue a new one, one that would impact the health of the world in a more positive way, teaching yoga. Her knowledge of the body, dis-ease, injury, prevention and health, and her fun, easy going nature combine to create an interactive, experiential and exciting class that offers the knowledge necessary to understand body mechanics, safely instructing students through an asana practice and yet bringing awareness to the philosophical and traditional healing methods and understanding the impact of self related to physical health.
Colynn has practiced yoga for over 19 years, and chose to increase her knowledge of yoga by attending a teacher training over 5 years ago, that coincidentally started at the same time her short list to medical school came through. It was apparent to her almost immediately that Medical School was not the answer to health care burnout, living her passion, supporting people in self-healing and empowering women was. Fresh out of yoga teacher training, Colynn was asked to teach the anatomy portion of a YTT and it wasn’t long until Med School and nursing were history. Colynn has participated in over 20 YTTs as an anatomy instructor and has more recently been running her own trainings, inviting the most knowledgeable teachers to share their gift.
Colynn has also been visiting Costa Rica for over 4 years, running several retreats and eventually making it one of her home bases, now that she lives the nomadic lifestyle.
This training will prepare and certify students to:
- Teach inspiring and safe group and private Hatha Yoga classes (including – Vinyasa, Hatha, Yin and Restorative) in a yoga studio, gym or corporate environment.
- Comprehend and apply intelligent sequencing with a clear focus on anatomical alignment inter-weaved with well thought out and consistent theme
- Offer informed, compassionate, and instructive hands-on assists and adjustments
- Utilize yoga philosophy to build compelling, inspiring yoga classes and use it as a tool for personal growth
- Hold space for your continued personal expansion and the personal transformation of others
- Have an in depth and firm grasp, and excitement to go deeper into, the use of experiential anatomy and physiology in yoga.
- Field the most common questions and issues from beginner students, including (but not limited to) mental health issues, autoimmune disorders, back or knee injuries, blood pressure, pregnancy, and stress. Understand how to safely work with these conditions in a nurturing, therapeutic manner.
- Understand the art and value of contemplation (meditation) and be able to lead others in the same from direct experience.
- Study the breath in all its beauty, fluctuations, and variations and prescribe different breathing techniques for different effects.
- Grasp the foundations and supporting energies of yoga, with emphasis on the Yoga Sutras, ethics, professionalism and the business of yoga.
- Feel comfortable and confident sharing all of these teachings with students.
YOGA TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAM CURRICULUM
The process of learning to teach requires that you dive into your own life, your own practice and therefore requires that you prepare to go deep – emotionally, physically, intellectually & spiritually. There is a lot of material to cover in 3 weeks, so please ensure that you arrive for this experience ready to dive in and participate. Please ensure as much as possible, that you are able to address obligations and outside commitments before you arrive. Get started on your reading requirements, begin a 5 minute a day meditation practice and start journaling the process.
There is a heavy emphasis on anatomy and alignment, sequencing and theming, meditation and pranayama, and business and professionalism. So please be prepared to be on time, to have daily reading, practice and journaling assignments, and to complete a mid-term & final teaching demo with in person feedback, and you can miss no more than two classes.
Remember, yoga is a journey of self-discovery and building our sensitivity to the world around us. We will be discovering and releasing attachments to that which is familiar and constricting in order to build our light to shine brighter than ever. In order not to disrupt each other’s process, we will, as a group, abstain from drinking alcohol, smoking, or using drugs for the duration of the course. This training is not a time to vacation and party; think of it more as an intensive or cleanse dedicated to honest self-reflection, purification, and clarity . Days off and evenings are for you to enjoy in a healthy and conscious way, always being aware of the collective and the community we are creating during these 3 weeks.