Six Tips For Safely Traveling Alone
Traveling by yourself… It can be a bit intimidating at times.
If thinking about traveling alone has you imagining being bored and lonely while getting lost without anyone to talk to, we’re here to ease those fears. Going on adventures alone can be just as fulfilling as going with your family or friends, if not more so!
Sure, traveling alone can seem intimidating at first. But there are many advantages to traveling alone, and there’s nothing quite like exploring a new place by yourself and taking it all in while only having yourself to answer to. You can rest, explore, eat and do whatever you please without being on someone else’s schedule.
However, for all the benefits, we also recognize that safety may be your top concern.
Personal safety worries, particularly for first-time solo travelers, can cause anxiety that prevents you from even starting to attempt travel. While we don’t think you should operate in a fear based mindset, it is always important to be observant and aware while traveling and prioritize your safety in unknown areas/situations.
The good news is that you can take specific, actionable steps to protect yourself. Use this crucial safety advice for solo travel to alleviate any worries.
- Do your research ahead of time – The truth is, most popular travel destinations and private resorts are safer than simply heading out on your own to somewhere unknown. Anamaya is an excellent example of this – our resort is located in the famous (and beautiful) Montezuma, Costa Rica. We offer a secluded, safe retreat where you won’t have to worry about booking a car or where to eat, as we take care of everything for you. You can relax and grow in peace, knowing that you don’t have to worry about whether your ‘safe place’ is safe.
In any case, research any safety issues for your intended destination before you book that flight or vacation. Potential internal conflicts, well-known problems with ‘touristy’ scams, or criminal hotspots are a few examples of potential threats to personal safety. Travel guides, blogs, news sites, and talking to people who have been there are all excellent research tools that you should have access to ahead of time.
- Pick your accommodations carefully– This step will also require research, but it will be well worth it in the long run. The more you research your lodging options rather than your route or mode of transportation, the better. And it boils down to one thing – location, location, location. Wherever you decide to stay should be in a centrally located and populated part of town and, if possible, close to dining and transportation options. Visit travel sites such as TripAdvisor and Booking.com to read reviews left by travelers, even better if there are anecdotes from other solo travelers. Additionally, watch out for prices that seem too good to be true (if they seem unbelievably excellent and cheap, there is probably a reason). Did you know Anamaya is the #1 hotel in Montezuma with a perfect 5 star rating? Check out our TripAdvisor HERE.
- Share your itinerary – One crucial thing to do is always have someone on the lookout for you, even while traveling alone. This ‘look out’ takes the form of having someone know your itinerary – when you are supposed to check in, where you are traveling to, and even where you expect to be on certain days. This way, the two of you can check in with each other, and if you are late to respond, that person will likely know where you were or where you are headed, which can help them get in touch or even alert authorities as needed.
- If at all possible, skip the valuables– If you travel super light, then this might not be as big an issue for you, but many of us still travel with laptops and other gadgets that help make things easier. Our tip is to try and keep your valuables to a minimum, and if you have to take them along, don’t flash them around and hide or lock them up whenever possible. Many hotels and resorts will have a place where you can store your more valuable stuff or anything you might purchase on your travels, so it might be worth checking out.
- Practice general safety rules- This one might seem like a no-brainer but it is worth repeating: don’t tell others you are out by yourself, don’t go out alone late at night, don’t wander off with strangers, all these rules also apply here. You can still easily make friends, experience all the city has to offer, and truly enjoy yourself while keeping up with these basic safety guidelines.
- And finally, trust your instincts– We cannot emphasize the importance of ‘going with your gut’ when traveling, regardless of whether you are alone or with a group! Our intuition is there for a reason and generally comes from our unconscious minds picking up the general idea of something being wrong and trying to warn us from making a misstep that could lead to potential problems. The more you travel, especially alone, the more your mind will pick up on subtle cues you might ordinarily miss. All you have to do is trust yourself!
We hope you have a great time traveling, flying solo, or heading out as a group! There is so much to discover in this expansive, beautiful world of ours, and there are few better ways to enjoy it than to dive deep and explore.
And if you are looking for somewhere safe, relaxing, and beautiful? Why not come down to the gorgeous Anamaya Yoga and Health Retreat Center? The well-being and safety of our visitors and the creation of a tranquil environment are our top priorities at Anamaya. Our resort is a place to unwind, rejuvenate your body, mind, and soul, escape from the pressures of everyday life, and discover an inner peace that is rare in our current world sphere. Contact us today for more information, or check out our website at https://anamaya.com/ for all the fantastic benefits you get from visiting your new home away from home!